London Irish Centre Covid-19 Response #1
As the COVID-19 crisis unfolds, it is clear that those some of the most at risk are the elderly and vulnerable.
The Irish are the oldest community in London and are more likely to live alone than others. Many of the people we support are at risk through age, social isolation and/or health problems.
Here is our first response of new services to changing needs:
- Food parcel deliveries every Tuesday and Friday. Please see here.
- Hot lunches delivered to peoples’ homes three times weekly – Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- The introduction of a health and wellbeing advice line for people concerned about their health during isolation. This service is run by our resident nurse, Ciara. Ciara can be reached on 07946202924 or [email protected] Please see here for full details.
- Moving our Advice service to telephone and email to ensure those who need advice remain supported but without compromising their physical health. Full details can be found here.
- We are expanding our telephone befriending with phone calls to vulnerable people up to twice daily, providing a friendly voice for social and emotional support. For more details, click here.
- The Centre and offices are closed, but all staff are now working remotely and all services are running smoothly.
- We are recruiting and training volunteers to help across all of these projects. You can find sign up information here.
- Our Culture team is creating LDNIrishTV, which will broadcast the very best Irish culture and community online
- The introduction of Library Outreach. Our team can now deliver books to people’s homes. You can search our online catalogue here.
If you know someone who could benefit from these services or if you would like to volunteer your time, please contact our Volunteer Co-ordinator Sinéad Whelan on [email protected] or on 07947111786.
For any other contact, please email [email protected].
Here’s some of what we’re hearing back:
“I am so grateful for the food delivery that I’ll get three times per week. I have to say the Irish stew on Monday was delicious, so well presented and a good balance of food.’
“Thank you so much for your help guys! I cannot put into words how grateful my family are for the way you have looked after grandad during this difficult time. You guys make his day. You truly are amazing people.”
Please donate to support these services at bit.ly/covid19appeal.